Monday, January 05, 2009

Free Will Astrology

I have incredibly mixed feelings about the whole deal of astrology. I don't believe that you can use astrology to predict the future. I don't believe that people should live their lives following the advice of a horoscope. I don't even think that most astrology offers reasonable, much less, good advice. But, the Salt Lake City Weekly has an Astrologer that I really enjoy. I occasionally use my City Weekly for movie listings, restaurant suggestions, to see who is going to be here in concert, but usually I flip right to the back to read what Rob Brezsny has to say to me this week. Plus . . . since I am right on the cusp of Aries and Taurus, I usually help myself to two servings. This week Rob says this:

Aries (March 21-April 19)
It's a great privilege to live in a free country. You're fortunate if you have the opportunity to pursue your dreams without having to ward off government interference or corporate brainwashing or religious fanaticism. But that's only partly useful if you have not yet won the most important struggle for liberation, which is the freedom from your own unconscious habits and conditioned responses. Becoming an independent agent who's not an unwitting slave to his or her past is one of the most heroic feats a human being can accomplish. And you, Aries, will have more mojo to do that in 2009 than you've had in a long time.

Doesn't this just resonate with last week's entry?

Taurus (April 20-May 20)
American financier Jim Rogers evaluates life as many devout capitalists do: under what circumstances can he achieve the most wealth? That's why he relocated to Singapore. "If you were smart in 1807, you moved to London," he said two years ago, "if you were smart in 1907, you moved to New York City, and if you are smart in 2007, you move to Asia." With that as your spur, Taurus, I'd like you to identify the driving force of your life. The desire for more money? More power? Wisdom? Love? Status? None of the above? The next step is to meditate on the environment and the conditions that would be most conducive to fulfilling your quest. In 2009, you'll have exceptional potential to create the ideal context for your success.

Now if you only knew about a most delightful offer that was made to me on Friday, you would be shitting your pants!!!

One day I had an upsetting break-up and I wished that day for new people in my life and I meet the Jelly Crew. I take an English class because I need to get it over with and I meet the first person in my life (who was a stranger) to tell me that I have it in me to write "If that's what you wanted to do," and I decide to switch majors to follow a dream I've had since I was a kid. I spend some time in a home that has the right sunlight, the right energy, the right smells, and the right friends and I can't leave because it just felt sooo good to be there. Within a matter of a months, I make some changes, start to get to know my roommate and think to myself for the first time in months . . . "I like the way my life in this apartment looks". But the thoughts still linger and before I even have a chance to say out-loud to someone that I would like to move out of the inversion and into the wet pine and fireplace smell of the mountains, I am offered a bedroom. Some reflection on this offer put a lot of priorities into perspective and before taking the time to regretfully decline, I get a phone call with a new offer . . .

I just want to say, that opportunity seems to knock most often, when I am happy with what I have already :)

No comments: