Friday, January 09, 2009

Oops, the tale of my hilarious office blunder

After about 5:00 pm in the office, the phone stops ringing, the emails slow down, and there are next to no distractions in the environment outside of my cubicle (pictures forthcoming). So on a day like yesterday, where I don't feel like I've been very productive, I like to stay late.

James left at 6:00 pm and I got my email down from over 100 to about 30. At 6:57 pm, Briawna called me to confirm our Gray's Anatomy plans. (you see, our Thursday night soap opera is one of the things that guarantees I will see my best friend at least once a week.) We decided to get burritos and realized between commute times and the last minute errand she needed to run that we would be in her living room right in the nick. I got up from my desk with a loaner electronic key to the door and went to the bathroom.

I went to the back-door to re-enter our office suite and my badge made the beep, but the clicking sound the door makes when the lock disengages, failed to sound off its duty. I tried again. No clicking, no entry. I went to the front door and tried it several times with no success.

I locked myself out of the office. I tried dialing a few extensions to see if anyone else had stayed as late as I had and it was quickly becoming apparent to me that I was the last out of the building . . . seriously locked out, with no one left to open the door for me. I went to look out the window on the back of the building and the

The good news was, that I was inside the building with my cell phone in my pocket; the bad news: I was wearing a tank-top and jeans, my blouse over the back of my chair. My coat hanging on the wall with my keys in the pocket, my purse on the floor, gaping open, my wallet on the desk next to my MP3 player, and most likely there was music playing in the headphones plugged into the jack on my computer which I had left un-locked. I called Briawna back.

I was feeling slightly concerned about my wallet and MP3 player, but I have no secrets to hide on my computer. I started to imagine weird scenarios: coming in this morning, looking like a grease-ball who is wearing yesterday's outfit, to get my keys. I was laughing out loud to myself in the empty, echoing lobby. I called Briawna again to let her know that yes, she probably should come get me I had tried all the people I could think of (of course I found out this morning that more than one person has a badge that will open the door at all hours) and I was not going to get back in.

I stood around for half an hour, looking at my reflection in the window, wondering how long till my friend arrived to rescue me and thinking that I'd be telling this story over and over again henceforth when suddenly a door downstairs opened.

I peeked over the banister at the gentleman coming up the stairs. When I saw a t-shirt and gym shorts I thought "that guy can't open the door either". . . .

"Boy am I glad to see you!" when I realized who it was . . . one of guys from IT coming up from the gym. I called Briawna to let her know I was in, she changed course, and I gathered my things to leave.

No comments: